Home | Contact | Site Map

When did the House of Representatives first start arranging to feed its Members?

Members’ Dining Room (From The Office of the Clerk of the House)

From the beginnings of the U.S. House of Representatives, Members have worked long hours, often remaining at the Capitol late into the night. As far back as 1834, Congress made arrangements for food and drink for Members and their constituents. The “refectory,” as it was then called, was run by local vendors. Mutton, beefsteak or partridge could be purchased there for twenty-five cents. When the Capitol expanded in the 1850s, the House’s restaurant moved to the new South Wing, and there it has remained.

Mosaic Federal Affairs, LLC / One Park Place / 300 S. State St. / Syracuse, NY 13202 / 315.425.2839 / mbrower@mosaicllc.com
>